The Royal Pavilion at Brighton was the Prince Regent's (later George IV) party
palace. Here, George and his friends could enjoy themselves far from his
father's official (and more staid) court.
The current building, with its Indian Gothic architecture, was designed by John
Nash. It was built over and around the earlier Marine Pavilion designed
by Henry Holland.
Queen Victoria was not amused that she could not get a good view of the sea from
the Royal Pavilion and sold it in 1850. First, however, she made sure that all
of the contents were removed.
The buyer was the City of Brighton, which still owns and operates it. Over the
years, it has been used as a meeting place and exhibition hall. The Royal Family
has returned many of the original contents on permanent loan. Today, it is open
to the public for guided or self-guided tours.